Saturday 6 November 2010

Fullfilment

So, I'm currently in the middle of watching Letters to Juliet but I'm watching it on Megavideo, and as I've just watched 62 minutes of it, I have to wait 54 minutes to see the rest of it, so I just thought I'd write a blog update while I was at it.

This blog has been partly inspired by this film because Letters to Juliet is about a girl who goes on holiday with her boyfriend to Italy. However, because her boyfriend is using this holiday as a business trip to help set up his restaurant, he doesn't have very much time for her, and so her options as to where she can go in Italy are somewhat limited. But she can still explore Verona (the place where she's staying), so inevitably she does and she discovers a wall in which people having all sorts of problems with their love life write to the Juliet of Romeo & Juliet and post them on to a wall, and at the end of each day Juliet's secretaries come to get the letters they have received and write back to them in order to help them with their problems. As a prospective journalist, Sophie decides to spend a few days with them to discover more about their work, and one day when they go to collect the letters Juliet finds a very old letter stuck in the wall, dated from 1956, from a woman who left a boy behind, despite the fact that she really loved him, and doesn't know what to do. In spite of the fact that this is a very old letter, Sophie decides to reply and rather unexpectedly the woman is very grateful and follows her advice, I won't tell you what happens next but it's a very good film.

Although one of the reasons that I'm talking about this film is because I enjoyed it, the other reason I'm talking about it is because I feel like Juliet. Because I like Juliet want to travel, I don't necessarily want to go to Italy, don't get me wrong it's a beautiful country and I would at some point like to go there but there are many places that I'd like to go to in Europe. But to want isn't enough because I just don't have the money to go to these places.

I'm glad I didn't go to Hull and I don't think I'll ever regret my decision to decline the offer but being stuck in the Dorset countryside (as much as a love the breath-taking views) whilst my friends and my sister are at university just isn't very exciting. In the past few weeks I've been looking at photos of travel photographers and travel blogs and thinking of how nice it would be to explore.

At the moment I'd really like to go to Brussels, one of the things that attracts me to it is Le Musée Hergé (the museum about Tintin), another thing that I like about it is its architecture but also because I went on a holiday to Bruges when I was 12 and I really enjoyed it, and so I'd like to see some more of Belgium, and since I'm a supporter of the EU, I might even end up working there.


But since I'll have to compromise on this dream of exploring more of Europe, I'll have to just settle for interesting places to visit in the UK, and since I'm planning on doing some work experience in the courts in London this should be possible. So I'm thinking of going back to the V&A (I went there this summer but because there's so much of it to see, I didn't get to see all of it), going to Dr Johnson's Museum, Covent Garden and other interesting museums in London, I'm also interested in going to the Jane Austen Museum in Bath, since I really like Jane Austen's literature.


I'm also really interested in going to Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Scandinavia, Italy and Poland. This is one of the downsides to doing an A-level in your gap year though, you can't go and live abroad and get a job in order to facilitate this desire but make no mistake, I'm still enjoying learning Latin  but if you're thinking of taking a gap year then take note!


But since I haven't got the money to travel, I have instead taken up the considerably cheaper habit of watching a lot of films. So far in the past week I've watched the Time Traveller's Wife, Wild Child and as you know I'm currently watching  Letter's to Juliet. I've also been watching a lot of trailers for french films, I'd forgotten how unique they were, so I've bought Après Vous but I'm also interested in buying Lemon Tree, Paris and My Best Friend. 


This is another problem with gap years, the boredom induced can empty your pockets. I've been so bored I've already done the majority of my Christmas shopping, I've spent £40 on a pair of pyjamas and I've been buying loads of books and music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment