Saturday 26 February 2011

Office politics

So this week was a sad week because I lost my job at the Citizens Advice Bureau. In a lot of cases, I wouldn't have minded quite so much but in this case I did mind because it was interesting and most of the people there were friendly.

It all started when I came back from the Christmas break because I'd been ill and that had broken my body clock, so that led to me making a few errors because I got out of be that day having had no sleep. But then they started saying that I'd made other errors. So they got the person who supervised all the gateway assessors (who'd just come back after being treated for cancer) to assess me and because I did things differently to the way she did things, she criticised me far too much for some of the things I was doing, even though a lot of people were doing things I was doing.

One of the main things she criticised me for was for not being sympathetic enough when someone with a debt problem called. She said that I shouldn't have just said "I'll call you back", and that I should've given her more help before putting the phone down to see what could be done for her but the reason that I didn't do that was because I'd never dealt with or observed a call on debt before, and so I'd rather leave her with without any information before I called her back as opposed to giving information I wasn't sure of, and I think anyone else would've done the same. The worst part about it was that no one else had told me that that was a problem.

Then another person called with a issue regarding divorce/money, and I was going to use the same tactic I proposed using with the previous caller of finding out the relevant information and calling them back when I had the relevant information and she again criticised me for temporarily sending them away with no information. When we were discussing what to do, I made it perfectly clear that I knew what to do but she went around insisting that this was another person she was having to call back for me!

Part of the problem was that she was aggressive in the way that she criticised me and so it made me nervous and meant that I couldn't do the job properly.

So after my manager had talked to this person, he called me the next day and said that it's just not working out and that he's not comfortable having me on the phones. When I tried to say that this woman had caused some of the problems, he said that he felt that way even without her feedback but that can't have been true because he'd said 4 weeks ago, "I think you can do this", and in the last two times I'd been back in the four weeks after he said that the gateway assessor had been supervising me on both occasions, so it must have had something to do with her. And I can't help thinking that it seems rather contradictory to tell me that he had thought about it and then slept on it before deciding that he wasn't comfortable with me answering the phones. The worst thing about that phone call was that he didn't thank me for the time I'd given up to come in and help.

But I guess my father was right when he said that I'd "had [my] first taste of office politics" because really I lost my job because the gateway supervisor just didn't like me. I'm not going to deny that there weren't faults on my part that led to this but she made me sound worse than I was.

When I asked if I could do anything else in the office the manager said that there was nothing at present that he needed me to do but he said that he would call me if there were any other roles became available. If he'd given me something else there and then I probably would have taken the offer but if he rings me up in a few weeks/months and says that they need me to do something, I don't honestly know if I'd feel comfortable doing it after all that's happened even though it's good legal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment